Marco is an urbanist with some experiences as practicing architect, urban designer and planner, as well as consultant of urban management and urban governance. He is known also as a writer on architectural and urban issues in Jakarta. In the last 10 years he also has been activie in the field of urban environment, cultural study and arts, developing multidisciplinary understanding of urbanism and architecture. He has collaborated with artists from different disciplines to develop visionary ideas for some Jakarta’s urban spaces, emphasizing environment and long term needs and sustainability. He is currently serving as the chair of Jakarta Arts Council.
Books published include:
- Jakarta: Metropolis Tunggang-langgang (Jakarta: a Helter Skelter Metropolis, Gagas Media, 21 Juni 2004, Jakarta)
- Mengubah Dunia, Kewiraupayaan Sosial dan Kekuatan Gagasan Baru, Yayasan Nurani Dunia dan Insist Press, 2006, (translation of David Bornstein, How to Change the World, Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas, Oxford University Press, 2004)
Recent International Conferences/Workshops
- World Urban Forum III, Vancouver, 17-23 June 2006
- Workshop “Damage and Losses Assesment”, Asian Disaster Preparedness Center, Bangkok, September 2005
- Asian Green Map Makers conference and workshops, Aichi, August 2005
- Berlin conference on sustainable metropolis, May 2005
Professional Experiences (recent)
- September 2007-February 2008: HIVOS’s external evaluator on IVAA (Indonesian Visual Arts Archive).
- March – December 2007: Housing Policy Analyst at Community Housing and Monitoring Programme (CHAMP), a programme of Australian-Indonesian Partnersip for Reconstruction and Development (AIPRD) for Aceh.
- Since July 2006: chair of Jakarta Arts Council.
- August-December 2006: UN-Habitat’s writer/evaluator, Lessons-learned in Reconstruction of Housing and Settlements, Spatial Planning in Aceh and Nias.
- August 2005-April 2006: Juror, International Design Competition “Equatorial Plaza”, Riau.
- January-October 2005: Curator, CP International Biennale Urban/Culture, Jakarta, 5 September-5 October 2005.
- May-December 2005: Technical Team Coordinator, UPLINK reconstruction project in Banda Aceh dan Aceh Besar (23 villages, 3.500 houses in total)
- February-May 2005: volunteer for Koalisi Masyarakat Sipil in West Coast (Nagan Raya) of Aceh, as architect and village planner.
- February 2004 – September 2005: Consultant for World Bank on Squatter Settlement Management Strategy and other grant programmes.
Memberships/Fellowships in Civil Society Organisations:
- Research Fellow at Urban Future Initiatives of MAK Center for Art and Architecture, Los Angeles, the US.
- Selected as Eisenhower Fellowship, June 2007.
- Member, International Advisory Board, Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore, 2006-2008.
- Chair, Jakarta Arts Council, since 4 July 2006
- Chair, Association for Conservation of Muarojambi Historical Site, since July 2006.
- Coordinator, Reconstruction sub-commission of The Humanitarian Emergency Commission for Aceh and North Sumatra, a coalition of NGO’s and individuals for reconstruction of post-tsunami Aceh and North Sumatra (30 december 2004 -…)
- Member, Board of Advisor, Indonesian Institute of Architects, Jakarta Chapter (2000-2003)
- Member, National Executive Board, Indonesian Institute of Architects (1992-1996)
- President, Society for Built Environment, since 1998, non-active.
- Member, Indonesian Association of Planners
- Green Map System, Founder of Indonesian green maps.
- Member, Indonesian Coalition for Social Housing,
- Co-founder and Member, Executive Board, Indonesian Heritage Trust (Badan Pelestarian Pusaka Indonesia, BPPI), since 2004
- Founder, Indonesian Green Map (www.greenmap.org)
- Co-founder, Association of Young Indonesian Architect (AMI= Arsitek Muda Indonesia)